Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Feeding the boy

Calling all breastfeeding moms ...I'm in a little dilemma about what to do about breastfeeding after my son turns one. I am exclusively pumping, so the question of weaning is not applicable here, but I am conflicted about stopping, especially in light of all the food allergies that my son may have that I am not currently aware of. I know that he did not do well when I drank cow's milk, so I gave that up and drank soy milk whenever I needed a milk fix. But I have read so many things about soy being a leading allergen too... I don't want to stop pumping, thinking my son will do ok without my milk, and then find out otherwise. On the other hand, I am worried that the constipation my son has suffered from for the last three months may be from my diet, and I don't want him to suffer constipation anymore either. But can we feed him well enough so he gets all of his nutrients from his food (because Mommy and Daddy don't have the best eating habits right now)? Or should we switch him to formula? His one year checkup isn't for another three weeks, so I can't talk to the doctor at length at this time-and to stop breastfeeding around his birthday would mean titrating down on my pumping now. So what do I do?

What, o wise mothers out there, have you done? Any advice for the newbie?

No comments:

Sounds True, Inc.